new modifiers in P51
- Healing is an exception -- AFAIK, adding Ranged does turn it into a Healing Ray. This makes sense, since it's not a contested thing, and healing rays have a fair amount of fictional precedent.
- That said, it wouldn't be visible unless you added Visible, so I don't think there's really a big difference between, "I roll IQ to target him, minus range modifiers, but he won't dodge because he wants this. If successful, my ray hits him and he's healed," and, "I roll IQ like a malediction, but he won't resist because he wants this. If successful, my power works and he's healed."
- So calling it a malediction instead of a ray is pretty much a special effect. You lose the ability to aim, but gain the ability to heal through walls and windows and such. Fair trade.
- HEALING RAY: Two rolls. Speed/Range penalties. Can Aim. Can Move and Attack or All-Out Attack. Fixed max range.
- HEALING SPELL: One roll. Range penalties. Can All-Out Concentrate (much worse than All-Out Attack, esp re: movement).
- Otherwise, both are invisible and ignore DR. The ray takes Size modifiers, but that's a good thing as often as a bad thing.
- Hmm. It does seem that the malediction has a small net advantage over the ray. Maybe a custom +20% enhancement (similar in strength to Based On ) would be more fair than making it a +0% special effect?